Sunday, June 7, 2009

Fuel Sender



Dateline - Saturday June 6th - While I was painting the wheel, I thought I would try to figure out why the fuel sender was not working on the left take (the only one with gas in it). I started out by troubleshooting the wiring in the car, but all looked good. I then drained the tank and pulled the lower valance off thinking that I would get at the sender from there. With the valence off, I found an access hatch that you can get at from inside the wheel well (makes you think that there are lots of problems with fuel senders! "Lucas! Prince of Darkness!"). I pulled the wires and tried to see if I could get the gauge to move. It would not, so I thought it was the switch. I took one from my spare panel and put it in and it moved when I shorted the hot to ground. So all the wires are good, it must be the sender. I pulled the sender and opened it up, and sure enough, a wire thinner then a hear that run from the potentiometer to the external plug was broken! I piece of copper wire and some solder fixed it right up. Put the sender back in the tank, but before I filled the tank up, I wanted to replace the old glass (yes GLASS!) filter that was in the trunk with a new plastic one. I cut out the old filter and replaced it with a new one, which should be much safer!

Finally, I filled the tank back up with about four gallons of gass and the gauge worked. I then re-wired the original switch back in, and it still worked. Maybe a bad connection at the switch too! Pictures show the work I did, plus evidence that the sender is working!