Monday, July 8, 2013

Center Console Fascia Work

Dateline - 07/06/2013 - Beautiful weather this weekend so I spent some time working on the car on Saturday.  My focus was to work on the center console fascia.  The fascia needed to be built out to hold the radio, cup holder and climate controls.  All of these required brackets to be built and fiberglassed onto the back of the console.  Again, because I'm making parts fit that are not supposed to, some modifications and creative sheet metal work was necessary.  Yet, once again, I was able to find a good solution and I'm very happy with the results.  I even put everything in the car to see how it would work ergonomically.  Really nice.  All controls fall "right to hand" and will work very well together.

What's left?  Well, I need to add some more fiberglass around the edge of the fascia to strengthen it and make it less likely to cut into the vinyl of the center console.  I also have to add mounting hardware for the console.  I think I have a pretty good idea how that is going to work, but I need to execute it to see for sure.  Then a final fitting with the gear selector and parking brake handle.  If everything looks good I will do the final carbon fiber layup and finish it off with many coats of lacquer finish.

As a side note.  While waiting for the epoxy to dry, I put the sender unit in the driver side gas tank.  Still looking for the correct fittings for the tanks, but that is one more thing done!

Here are pictures of the center console:
Back of fascia with Radio (top) and climate control (bottom) brackets epoxied in.
Back of fascia with radio and heater controls installed

Fascia from Driver's seat, cup holder closed
Fascia from Driver's seat, cup holder open

Fascia from Passenger seat, cup holder closed

Fascia from Passenger seat, cup holder open