Monday, November 16, 2015

More Engine Bay Work

Dateline - 11/14/2015 -  Spend another Saturday working on the engine bay.  I got the power steering pump pulley cover during the week and put that on.

Next I installed the blower motors/fans.  This took a lot longer than I expected because I had rebuilt and painted the fans over the summer and tested them when I put them back together, but didn't test them with the squirrel cages on them.  Both of them squealed really badly.  Seems that I didn't lubricate the shafts well enough.  So I had to take them apart again, which required unsoldering the leads and brushes from the the windings and and remove a fiberglass board that holds it all together. So what should have been an hour job turned into three, but the fans are in.

Both blower motors/fans installed
Next I put in the windshield wiper motor and apparatus.  I know this was going to be a pain, and it was!  The worst part is that I spend about 1/2 hour looking for the darned bracket that holds the motor to the car.  Couldn't find it anywhere.  Looked in all my boxes in the garages, etc., but no joy.  Then as I was just about ready to call it quits, I remembered it was in the room with all the painted parts!  D'oh!
Windshield wiper motor installed
Windshield wiper shafts and mechanism
Finally, I put a few odds and ends on.  The battery cutout solenoid, the heater water control valve and the automatic transmission filler/dipstick.

Clockwise from upper left: Battery cutoff solenoid, transmission dipstick, heater water control valve  
I had to call it an early day because I was meeting some friends and going to a show.  I will not be working on the car again until December do to other events going on, so my next most will be in a few weeks.