Monday, December 21, 2015

Another Productive Weekend

Dateline - Dec 12, 2015 - Had a good Saturday working on the car.  Continued to focus on the engine bay.  I got the parts I ordered from Summit Racing and the red "anodizing" paint for the manifold.  So I got to work.  Installed the new fuel pump, which was pretty easy.  Nice to have clean new parts to put on:

New Fuel Pump Installed

I then focused on installing the battery tray.  I had a plastic tray that I had bought when I first got the car and decided to use that one.  It was much bigger then the battery the car takes, so I cut it down to size and installed it.

Battery Tray and Heater Hoses
Getting prepared for installing the intake manifold meant that I need to clean the heads and block making surfaces.  They still had quite a bit of old gasket and glue on them, so I spent some time cleaning surfaces.

Next I worked on installing the heater hoses.  This was a little work, but I'm happy with how they turned out.  I think I need to make a bracket or two to keep the hoses off the battery.  I will need to make another bracket to move the transmission oil stick/filler away from the firewall.  It's stuck under the heater hoses now and not that functional.

Finally, I started looking at the wiring.  There is a lot of wiring there from the original engine that has been bypassed or is no longer needed.  I'm not quite sure what all of it is about since the engine has been changed twice.  So I need to do some sleuthing to determine if I still need the ballast resister and voltage regulator.  I'm also not sure about the starter solenoid.  I'll figure it out.  I just need to get some time on the Interwebs and work my wiring diagrams.

While I was doing this work, I painted the intake manifold with the special paint.  I had to put down a silver base coat then the red color over the top.  I was feeling kinda "Meh" about the results, but wanted to let it sit for awhile to see if I liked it.

I also painted the brake booster black so that it looks clean and new.

Getting closer!