Monday, April 11, 2016

Still Working On The Dash!

Dateline - 04/10/2016 - Continued to work on the dash this weekend.  I've pretty much buttoned up the wiring and cleaned up the loose ends.  Almost everything is ready to go except the dash light dimmer control and the hazard warning light switch.  I know what I'm going to do with the dimmer control.  I'm going to mount it between the two switches and the steering column on the driver's side fascia.   I need to get some tubing from the hardware store to do that.

What I don't know is the hazard switch, which is part of the turn signal controls.  I'm going to need to do some head scratching to get that to work, but I will!

I also spent some time with the steering column cover (here is a link to when I create it http://leapingv8s.blogspot.com/2012/03/three-months-and-moving-right-along.html).  It's a bit too big and the steering column tightening knob rubs against it.  So I had to peel off the vinyl and sand it down quite a bit.  That's okay though since had some aesthetic issues with that anyway and will make a better one this time.

Finally, I mounted the right had dash.  It has bolts that go into brackets I made in the back and then pushes up into position.  It is held in place with a five inch piece of steel tubing that is pushed through the center console side into the front of the fascia.  You can't see it, but it feel very solid and I think this will hold well.  I also mounted the bottom glove box door.

I had to cut my work effort a bit short on Saturday because I needed to wash and was the XK-8.  First wax of the season and it needed it.  The paint was feeling really dry.  It can use a couple more coats to bring back the silky feel that I like.

I also washed the Van, which needed it badly!  That was a full day by the time I was done.