This weekend I:
- Applied the carbon fiber over the fiberglass on the center console and sanded it back down to ready it for lacquer overcoat.
- Mounted the cyclops brake light
- Added a catch on the lower glove box so that it doesn't just drop open. I needed something that would allow me to open the box completely because the fuses are behind it. A simple catch made of bass stock, riveted into the side of the of the glove box worked like a champ.
- Painted the centers of the hubcaps and installed them.
- Painted the front speaker frames and grills
One item that took more work was the front center console insert. When you lift the center console armrest, there is a very thin plastic insert that goes in to create the center glove box. The original is in pretty bad shape, and with the addition of the new hand brake, I would have to modify the tray to fit.
So, instead of trying to fix and modify he original, I decided to make a new one out of fiberglass. I created the buck from pink foam (of course) and then laid up two glass layers, one 10 lb and one six lb. I had to chip away the foam, but when I was done, it was a perfect fit! Just need to trim, sand and finish in the carbon fiber vinyl that I used for the other glove boxes and I'm good.
So, what's left...
In the back of the car:
- Lacquer and rub out center console panel
- Install center console panel
- Mount the center console
- Source and mount wing badges for door panels
- Finish center console insert
- Install armrest
- Finish the center indicator light bezel
- Mount dimmer switch knob
- Calibrate Speedometer
- Make left and right upholstery panels
- Buy carpet kit and install
- Fix mismatch paint
- Install bumpers
- Install front license plate
- Front end alignment
- Headlight alignment
Not much left!