Monday, February 25, 2013

Method to My Madness or Madness to my Method

Dateline - February 23, 2013 - I haven't posted many pictures thus far because there hasn't been a lot to see, but I thought I would go ahead and take a picture of what the Engine bay and dashboard looks like at this point:




Yes, I do know where everything is and what all those wires are! All the wiring is numbered and I've been keeping track of what is what, and thus far, everything has been working!  Of course, I'm going to tidy this all up when I done and you will not be able to see any of it!  It's just the way I am.

So, what did I do this weekend?  Well, I did figure out the wiring for the parking switch for the wipers.  Actually, I had to chew on it for a couple of days, then the idea came to me, why not use the unused leg of the on/off relay to power the motor.  I tried it and found that when the motor was on, I was getting a return signal through the slow speed circuit that cause the solenoid to rattle.  So I put a high current diode in line with the return and, voila, it worked!  Here is the new diagram with the new circuit in red:


A real plus is that the mist option on the stalk works also (wasn't expecting that).  Now, I just need to figure out how to get the Window Washer to work.  The original has a switch on the dash.  I'd like to incorporate the Wash switch on the stalk.  I need to figure out if I can do that easily.

I also got a couple of other wiring items done.  I ran a straight hot from one of the inside terminals to the trunk.  I'm going to mount a fuse block back there so that I can connect things like amplifiers and such if I want.  I also ran the speaker wires for the back speakers.  And since I am going to put a center brake light in the back window, I ran a wire from the brake switch to the back for that.

I started working on the interior lighting too.  The original car had two lights at the top of the B-Pillars and a map light that was mounted under the dash cover.  I wanted to pimp that up a bit.  I'm going to leave the two B-Pillar lights, but I'm also adding LED lights in each footwell and under the front seats for the back passengers.  I build small aluminum brackets to mount the LED lights in the footwells and stuck them under the dash using double sided foam tape.  I think they are going to stay there, but I can always mount them differently if they don't. 

I've also ordered a rear view mirror that has map lights built in.  When it comes in I'm going to wire that.  I also want to mount reading lights on the C-Pillars for the back passengers.  I haven't sourced those yet.

Finally, I spend about an hour vacuuming and cleaning out the inside of the car.  It still had a lot of bondo and exterior paint dust, and the back seat area had become a repository of all sorts of odds and ends, small pieces of wire, and well junk.  So I cleaned it up and it now looks pretty good.

So, what's left to wire?  Lights under the seats, C-pillar lights, Map lights, Washer motor switch, Rear Window defogger, Radio (just got my Kenwood unit in!), NOX control wires, emergency flashers, Power and Start buttons (my ignition switch is pretty much gone and I can't source a replacement, so I'm going to use buttons instead),  and...well...I think that may be it!!  OMG!