Wednesday, February 6, 2013

A Bit Distracted This Weekend

Dateline - 02/02/2013 - Didn't do much on the car this weekend.  Spent most of the day Saturday driving to and from Portland to look at purchasing a new bike frame from Renovo (http://www.renovobikes.com/).  Last month my FELT Z5 carbon fiber frame bike fell over and hit my roller stand and broke the drive side chain stay!  Yup!  Just falling over and hitting something broke it.  Worst of all, FELT's replacement policy is 1/2 off the retail price for a new frame.  So I would end up spending about 2/3 the price that I send on the bike NEW just replace the frame.  I can't see the value in just about buying another bike to get the same bike again! 

So, I've been looking at Renovo for a couple of years now and have thought that a wooden bike frame would be something really unique.  I saw one last year while I was riding home on my daily commute and the owner said that it was a really nice ride.  So I went down to Portland and tried one out.  They are surprising light and very supple.  Really no vibration at all is transmitted through the frame.  Wood just absorbs all the bumps.  Also, wood doesn't break or fatigue like metal or have hidden cracks like carbon.  I realized I really don't need an ultralight bike frame.  I don't race!  Having something I can live with for a long time and is extremely unique is what I'm really looking for!  Each frame is made by hand, of specifically choosen hardwords and has ~40 hours of hand work to finish them.  They truely are a work of art!  So now I'm in the build queue.  I still have to choose which woods I want, but I will soon own one of these masterpieces.

Now, back to my other unique ride!  Last week I discovered that 3M creates a carbon fiber like vinyl called DI-NOC (http://www.carbonfiberfilm.com/).  It's designed to be applied as an architectural element and can last up to 5 years in the sun and can even be clearcoated.  I've been really worrying about how I would lay up the center console to get the carbon fiber to go into all the nooks and crannies, as well as all the work necessary to get a glass like finish.  Well, this may be the answer.  I ordered a test piece and made a fiberglass buck with similar bends and curves as the center console to try it out.  I hope it works because it will really make it much easier to get the console done.

Also, I start work on the driver side armrest pad.  This is one of the last interior elements that I have to fiberglass and upholster.  So, some work done, but I really need to start concentrating if I'm going to get this done by June!