Monday, June 16, 2014

Not a Project Car Weekend

Dateline - 06/14/2014 - I didn't spend much time on the car this weekend.  The weather was a bit nasty (they call it the "June Gloom" in the PacNW) and I didn't feel like working in the garage, so I spent time doing artwork instead.  But I did do some work in the evenings while relaxing in front of the TV.  I fit the upper glove box door with the new hinges and mounted the cool little Jaguar glove box handle.  I also started to modify the actual glove box, which is made of densely pressed paper, to fit in the new dash.  With all the new wire running behind the glove box, I'm going to need to make modifications so that it will fit.  Finally, I did some more sanding on the carbon fiber center console.  I have just a few holes I need to fill and sand, but it is getting close to time for the finish coats of lacquer.

So, what is remaining on the dash?  I need to get the center instrument section sanded again, and cut the veneer to shape.  Do a little routing on the back of the left and right sides so that I can mount the air vents, and give the wood a final sand down with 600 paper to get it baby butt smooth.  Then it's finish time!

On the paint front, I stopped by my paint shop and talked to the guy who will be painting the car.  He said he was about four weeks out before he could take the car (end of June).  I need to call him at the end of this week to make an appointment for him to come over and take a look at the condition of the car.  At that point, I think he will be able to tell me how much it will cost as well as give me some idea on when it will be done.  Right now, I'm leaning toward having them do all the work.  I just don't think I can spend another couple of mouths sanding the car again.  I've already spent a year doing bodywork.  I'm thinking I should leave the final work to a pro!  We will see once I get the estimate.