Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Lights! We have lights!

Dateline - 02/06/2016 - Continued working on the back of the car this weekend.  My first effort was to get the tail lights and side markers installed.  This required getting some more hardware and the correct tap to clean up the paint and body filler encrusted holes.  In order to not mess up the paint on the car, I had to really take my time so it took a little longer then I thought.  I have to say, it really looks good to have the tail lights back on the car:

Right rear side marker
Right rear side marker lit
Rear of car with tail lights and trunk seal.  Note wires coming out the back of the body are for the license plate light in the bumper.
After getting the lights done, I found the two wooden panels that sit on the floor of the car to cover the fuel system and spare tire and pulled the metal parts off of them, or at least tried to.  They are really rusty and I wasn't able to free some of the parts, so I'm going to need to grind the heads of the screws off.  I wasn't feeling like doing that on Saturday, so they will have to wait, but the parts I did get off I sandblasted and painted.  I think I'm going to try to find new plywood eventually since I'm going to re-upholster the entire trunk at some point, but for now, I'm going to use what I have.

I also started work inside the car!  Yes, moving to the big job!  I installed the gas peddle arm and adjusted the cable linkage to the carburetor.  I installed the new plastic gas pedal (I'm ditching the chrome foot I had before.  Also, I installed a few brackets under the dash and routed some wiring.

I was still feeling a bit under the weather with my cold, so I didn't put a full day into it, so that's as far as I got.  The plan is to continue with the drivers side wiring, installing the steering wheel including the linkage at the rack, and to start putting in upholstery!  It's coming along!