Monday, September 26, 2016

Front and Back Windows Are Installed

Dateline 09/24 and 09/25 2016 - Big task this weekend was installing the front and back windows.  I knew this was going to be a challenge but I had no idea how hard it was going to be!  I started with the back window first.  I thought I would put the rubber gasket in the car then force the window in.  I spent about two hours fighting that with no success.  So I took the window out and put the gasket on the window, then tried to get the window in this way because the back parcel shelf was in the way.  So I had to remove the speakers and the parcel shelf.  Once I had everything out of the way, I was able to finally work the window into place.  It was very slow going but it finally just "fell" into place.

Next I put the chrome trim in, which required working it into the rubber molding.  What a royal PITA!  Finally, after a full four hours I got the window in.

Sunday, I worked on two items, putting the front window in and trying to bleed the brakes.  I started with the brakes.  I bought a new brake reservoir cap because the fluid sensor in the old one was shot.  I took the old one apart and drilled a hole big enough to thread a compressor hose fitting into.  I was then able to connect the air compressor and put low pressure to the system.  This pushes the fluid through when you open the nipples at the brake calipers.

This worked great for the front brakes since they are easy to get to.  However, as I wrote about here http://leapingv8s.blogspot.com/2009/09/master-cylinder-rebuild.html, the back brakes are a total pain!  I didn't have a hose of the correct size and length as was just not able to get the hose on the nipples.  So I need to make a run to parts store to get the right hose.  Something to do next week.

The last part of the day I spend putting in the front window.  After figuring out the tricks on the back window, I was able to get the front window in relatively quickly, about two hours.  By the time I had the front window in, my fingertips were so sore from pushing and pulling on the rubber seal that I had to give up for the day.

So, just that much more done.  I still have the passenger side front door to do, but I need to get the car on its wheel to do it because the post in the middle of my garage is in the way.  This means I need to get new tires mounted.  It really is coming together though!

Here are pictures of the installed windows.

Back window installed.  Still need to screw down the speakers

Front window installed with dash pad in place.