Monday, September 19, 2016

Power Windows and One More Door

Dateline - 09/18/2016 - Wasn't  feeling too into working on the car this weekend, but wanted to keep some progress going, so Sunday I spent putting in the window regulators on the driver side of the car. The power windows in most foreign cars are always a problem point.  All the mechanical parts get wet and dirty being in the door and exposed to 45 years of grim and dirt.  The driver side front window also wears a lot because it is used most often.  Mine is no exception.  After fighting the getting the regulator in, I found out that it jams bringing the window down.  It looks like the mechanism is just worn out.  Unfortunately, these are truly unobtanium!  I'm going to need to put in an ebay search and hope for the best.  I am looking to see if I may be able to convert the passenger side to work.  If not, I may need to do some rebuilding.  I don't want to, but that may be my only recourse.

The back left window went in easy and works fine.  But, like all things Jaguar, the back regular is nothing like the front ones!

I also worked on the passenger side back door.  I got it all together including the window and regular.  However, when I went to put on the door seal, I realized that they sent me a front door seal in a bag marked for a back door.  I purchased these seals five years ago, so no hope of returning them.  Now I have to find a back door seal.  I hope this isn't unobtanium too!

So, what's left?


  • Passenger front door
  • New tires so I can put the car back on its feet
  • Front and back windows
  • Bumpers
  • Bleed the brakes
Then I could potentially drive the car!

I am noticing that the front power steering rack is leaking.  That isn't good, but I should expect things like this.  The car has been sitting for a very long time.  This is something I can work on this winter.