Monday, March 7, 2016

Finished the Carpets and Headliner

Dateline - 03/05/2016 - This Saturday I finished up the carpets and headliner.  The morning started with finishing the carpets on the passenger side.  I had to install the padding along the transmission tunnel and the driveshaft tunnel.  Once that was installed, I was able to glue in the carpets along transmission tunnel.  I then installed the carpet that sits against the bottom of the back seat.  There is no padding there normally and with the Dynamat on that surface, I think it will be pretty quite.

I also started installing the passenger side door threshold plates.  This required installing the wood (yes wood!) former on the door sill and installing two metal brackets that the plates screw into.  Unfortunately, I didn't have stainless steel screes the correct size to screw the plates down with, so I need to pick up some hardware (surprise!)

Passenger back door threshold plate with wood former
Once I got those installed, I was able to start on the driver's side of the car.  This went much faster because I had already figured out all the trouble spots and the correct sequence to do the work.  Basically a repeat of what I did on the passenger side.  Once I had both sides done, I could install the final piece which fits over the driveshaft tunnel.  This is one piece and had to be installed once everything else was done.
Padding installed on Driver Side
Carpets looking back to front
Carpets looking front to back
After getting the carpets installed, I installed the B-pillar upholstery, the A-pillar kick panel and the fuzzy trim around the doors.  Again, because I had done these on passenger side already, they went in pretty quickly.
A-pillar kick panel
B-pillar upholstery
Drivers side with carpets and upholstery complete
The last piece to install was the head liner piece that goes over the doors and down the C-pillar.  Like the other side, this was fiddly work because I had to make sure the holding pins lined up with the holes in the body.  Tricky work that required pulling the trim away and trying to line things up with my fingers.  I got it eventually and am very pleased with the effect.

Headliner piece over doors installed
I did work on a couple of other trim items.  In the center console there is a heater vent on each side that drops hot air under the front seats to help heat the back of the car.  There are two upholstered metal plates that sit between the vent and the carpets.  I had previously sandblasted and painted these but had not completed the upholstery.  I finished those and you can it in the picture below.

Center console hot air deflector mounted on driveshaft tunnel
The final job of the day was to upholster the upper B-pillar upholstery items.  These consist of a metal plate what was originally padded with a dense foam and covered in headliner material.  I decided to do it a little different.  I cut and glued in a piece of pink foam, sanded it to shape and and then upholstered it with the Burgundy vinyl that I used on the dash pad, door caps and back package shelf.  I was pretty burned out by the time I got those done, so I didn't install them yet.  Once I have them installed, I can install the B-pillar interior lights.

The way things are lining out, it looks like installation of the center console is next!