Monday, March 21, 2016

Wiring and Dash!

Dateline - 03/20/2016 -  Saturday was consumed with my first bike ride of 2016, so I put time in on Sunday instead.  This weekend was dedicated to the dash.  Before I could do anything, I needed to take care of some wiring issues that I still had outstanding.  I needed to wire in the distributor power as well as the power to the new electrical cooling fans.  I needed power that was coming from the ignition side so I wired it into fuse #1 which is hot with ignition.

After getting that sorted, I needed to install some of the vacuum hoses for the heater/air controls.  This of course was harder then it should have been, but with persistence and a few broken knuckles I got that done.

Next was installing the center gauges in the dash and hooking them up.  Here they are installed without wiring:
Center gauges installed
Center gauges installed (back)
Then I hooked them up and tried to get them into the dash and realized I do not have enough room!  Yikes!  I'm going to need to do something different.  Before going hog wild on re-wiring, I decided to make sure I really understand how the dash is going to fit together, so I started putting in the passenger side of the dash.  This required that I install the pressed board glove box.  I needed to modify this somewhat to give room for the new wiring to the fuse blocks, but fortunately I din't need to do a lot and was able to retain most of the glovebox space.
Original glovebox with slight modification to fit new wiring.
I also installed the glovebox door and air vent. Then I "fitted" the unit in the car.  Of course, it didn't fit correctly, which required that I pull some of the vinyl back and file down some of the fiberglass underneath.  Fiddly work, but better to have things fit! With the dash fitted, I can see that I have a couple of brackets to make, but not a big deal at all.

To fix the center gauge issue, I'm going to need to pre-wire them using the nut/screw connectors provided on the gauges instead of the bayonet type that I originally planned to use.  The plan is to wire in all the gauges, leaving pigtails that I will be able to plug/unplug on the left hand side.  This will allow me to install and remove the dash panel much easier.  Should have thought of this before!  All things you learn with a prototype!

Next week I want to install the drivers side panel to make sure I really understand how all of this fits together.  Once I know that everything is going to fit, I'll start installing braces and screwing things in.  Here are pictures of the dash thus far:

Dash from passenger front door without flash
Dash from passenger front door with flash
Dash back window without flash
Dash back window with flash