Dateline - 12/31/2017 - Had a long weekend with the New Years holiday so I got a couple of days to work on the car. It was all consumed by door panels and fiberglass work. I completed the left and right hand rear door panel bucks. This required a lot of foam cutting, gluing, sanding and fitting! What I learn on one side I can apply to the second, but since everything is a one-off, they are all a little different. Too bad I'm not building these for a full production run! I'd have everything ready to go!
I also did the layup on the other armrest as explained in the last post. I now need to cut openings into the rests, fabricate the metal reinforcements and glue them into place. Once I have that done, I can fabricate the mounting points that will go on the doors, which will require pulling out the MIG welder. Oh the fun never ends!
I also worked a bit on the center console in the back. I bought two switches for the back reading lights as well as a duel USB adapter that looks like one of the switches. I cut open the center console to mount the switches, but I'm not sure I really like the results. Still thinking this through. The nice thing is that the only thing I lose is foam and time. Better to prototype to see if I like it before I expend fiberglass and carbon fiber to the effort!