Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Little Known Fact

The main headlights and surround on my car are not original.  The original lights are a smaller size bulb and the surround has small air inlets at the top that go to air vents in the front foot wells via a plastic hose that ran inside the fenderwells.  A simple way to improve a limited airflow problem in the car.

So, when did the new headlights and surrounds, and subsequent bodywork to mold them in, get added to the car?  That may be lost to history.  But I can tell you what car the lights and surrounds were sourced from... a mid 70's Chrysler Cordoba!  (You just have to say that with Ricardo Montalban's accent!).



How did I find this out?  The surrounds on the car are a little long in the tooth and instead of having them rechromed, I thought I would look for replacements.  Fortunately there was a part number in the casting.  Entering it into Google I got a hit on ebay for a left and right surround in used but good condition!  You have just got to love the interwebs!