Monday, September 26, 2016

Front and Back Windows Are Installed

Dateline 09/24 and 09/25 2016 - Big task this weekend was installing the front and back windows.  I knew this was going to be a challenge but I had no idea how hard it was going to be!  I started with the back window first.  I thought I would put the rubber gasket in the car then force the window in.  I spent about two hours fighting that with no success.  So I took the window out and put the gasket on the window, then tried to get the window in this way because the back parcel shelf was in the way.  So I had to remove the speakers and the parcel shelf.  Once I had everything out of the way, I was able to finally work the window into place.  It was very slow going but it finally just "fell" into place.

Next I put the chrome trim in, which required working it into the rubber molding.  What a royal PITA!  Finally, after a full four hours I got the window in.

Sunday, I worked on two items, putting the front window in and trying to bleed the brakes.  I started with the brakes.  I bought a new brake reservoir cap because the fluid sensor in the old one was shot.  I took the old one apart and drilled a hole big enough to thread a compressor hose fitting into.  I was then able to connect the air compressor and put low pressure to the system.  This pushes the fluid through when you open the nipples at the brake calipers.

This worked great for the front brakes since they are easy to get to.  However, as I wrote about here, the back brakes are a total pain!  I didn't have a hose of the correct size and length as was just not able to get the hose on the nipples.  So I need to make a run to parts store to get the right hose.  Something to do next week.

The last part of the day I spend putting in the front window.  After figuring out the tricks on the back window, I was able to get the front window in relatively quickly, about two hours.  By the time I had the front window in, my fingertips were so sore from pushing and pulling on the rubber seal that I had to give up for the day.

So, just that much more done.  I still have the passenger side front door to do, but I need to get the car on its wheel to do it because the post in the middle of my garage is in the way.  This means I need to get new tires mounted.  It really is coming together though!

Here are pictures of the installed windows.

Back window installed.  Still need to screw down the speakers

Front window installed with dash pad in place.

Monday, September 19, 2016

Power Windows and One More Door

Dateline - 09/18/2016 - Wasn't  feeling too into working on the car this weekend, but wanted to keep some progress going, so Sunday I spent putting in the window regulators on the driver side of the car. The power windows in most foreign cars are always a problem point.  All the mechanical parts get wet and dirty being in the door and exposed to 45 years of grim and dirt.  The driver side front window also wears a lot because it is used most often.  Mine is no exception.  After fighting the getting the regulator in, I found out that it jams bringing the window down.  It looks like the mechanism is just worn out.  Unfortunately, these are truly unobtanium!  I'm going to need to put in an ebay search and hope for the best.  I am looking to see if I may be able to convert the passenger side to work.  If not, I may need to do some rebuilding.  I don't want to, but that may be my only recourse.

The back left window went in easy and works fine.  But, like all things Jaguar, the back regular is nothing like the front ones!

I also worked on the passenger side back door.  I got it all together including the window and regular.  However, when I went to put on the door seal, I realized that they sent me a front door seal in a bag marked for a back door.  I purchased these seals five years ago, so no hope of returning them.  Now I have to find a back door seal.  I hope this isn't unobtanium too!

So, what's left?

  • Passenger front door
  • New tires so I can put the car back on its feet
  • Front and back windows
  • Bumpers
  • Bleed the brakes
Then I could potentially drive the car!

I am noticing that the front power steering rack is leaking.  That isn't good, but I should expect things like this.  The car has been sitting for a very long time.  This is something I can work on this winter.

Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Long Weekend - Got a Lot Done

Dateline 09/03 - 09/05 2016 - Spend two of the three days this long weekend working on the car.  First off was the headlights.  I ordered new 7" headlight buckets from SNG Barrett which I got in last week.  Installation was pretty straight forward although I had to swap out the wire harness since the one that came with the buckets supported the non-sealed beam headlights.

After I got the headlights installed, I started working on putting together the doors.  There are a lot of parts that make up the doors including door handles, mirrors, locks, closure mechanisms, levers, window track, windows, chrome, screws, rubber scrapers, rubber seals, screws, nuts, bolts, rivets.  And it all needs to go back together in a certain order.  The driver sides doors (front and back) took a day and an half to get done and even that wasn't enough to finish them completely.  I'm still waiting for clips to arrive from SNG Barrett that hold the back trim pieces on, I need to do some work with the inside door handles and there is still some chrome to put on.

My last gasp on Monday was putting the lettering on the back of the car.  I purchased modern jaguar lettering as well as a Jaguar V8 badge and an aftermarket 350 badge.  Here are pictures of all the finished work.
Driver side doors
Trunk badging