Monday, November 4, 2013

Both Tanks In



Dateline – 11/02/2013 – Saturday was devoted to getting the left side gas tank in.  But first, I realized I had to pull the right side tank out because yours truly forgot to install the drain hose that drains the filler cap depression on the top of the fender!  Can you say, “D’OH!”  Fortunately, the tank came out pretty quickly, and now that I know how to install it, went back in quickly.

The left side tank couldn’t go in until I put the soundproofing panel into the fender.  I think I explained in a prior post that this panel is held in using strip caulk.  It’s a pain to do this work because you have to reach way up into the fender.  But I got the panel in.  Then it was just a matter of putting the tank in screwing it down and putting in the fittings.  Pretty easy actually!

The latter half of the day I spent doing a final fitting of the center console fascia.  I needed to make sure that the shift lever and hand brake lever all fit correctly before I did the final work on the fascia.  It’s pretty close, but I still have a few minor adjustments to make. 

I also took the time to determine how the new hand brake cable is going to run through the original air box that is located in the console.  A pretty advanced feature for this year of car, the Jaguar had airflow to the back seat area.  It has a vent in the center of back of the console, plus airflow vents going down to the passenger’s feet that have separate controls.  All of this is controlled by an air box that sits under the center console armrest pocket.  Two hoses running from the main air control in the dash feed the air box.  Pretty neat and easy system.

Because I now have a handbrake cable running through were the air box sits, I had to make some modifications.  The good news was that I just need to drill some holes through the air box to allow the cable to go through.  I’m not worried about air leakage, since the box isn’t designed to be airtight.

So, next week looks like a good time to put down the sound proofing!  All I can say is that it is really coming along!