Monday, December 7, 2015

Back From Thanksgiving Vacation

Dateline – 12/05/2015  I took two weeks off from working on the car to go to California to see family for Thanksgiving.  It was nice to have a long break from work and projects to just relax and enjoy the company of my family.

This weekend I continued work on the engine bay.  I did a lot of odds and ends work since there are just a lot of odds and ends in the engine bay.  Things I got accomplished were:
  • Installed the vacuum accessory tank in the left fender
  • Installed the chassis number plate on the left wheel well
  • Installed the cruise control actuator on the left wheel well
  • Cleaned both through-firewall electrical posts.  These bring positive voltage into the cabin of the car to the fuse block
  • Installed voltage lead that runs between the electrical posts
  • Installed the hood latches including the cable activation system
  • Installed Radiator overflow tank on left wheel well

I was going to install the brake pedal housing and booster but realized that I really want to paint the booster.  I thought it looked good enough after a solid cleaning, but after putting it in the car, I realized it really needs to be painted.  Since the booster and pedal housing need to go in at the same time, needed to wait to put it in until next weekend.

I have also purchased some VHT Red Anodized Color High temp paint (http://www.brandsport.com/vhtp-sp450.html)  I’m going to paint the intake manifold with this to see if I like the results.   I did some research over the holidays and found some pictures of engines that guys have done this too and it looks pretty sharp.   I like the idea of adding some color to the engine since everything right now is polished aluminum, chrome or black paint.  This may be a cheaper way to dress up the engine without needing to buy a polished intake.  If it looks good, I may do the same thing to the Mickey Thompson valve covers.  And if I don’t like it, I can always put it through the sandblaster and get it back to bare metal.  I  LOVE MY SANDBLASTER!

I’m also putting in an order with Summit Racing for a new fuel pump, Russel billet aluminum inline fuel filter, Continental Red Rubber radiator hoses, fuel hose, Spectra Performance Magna-Clamp Hose Clamps and a new battery tray.  I think that is going to give me all the odds and ends I need finish up the engine bay short of the exhaust manifolds.  I still haven’t decided if I want to have these ceramic coated or sand blast then and use high temp paint.  I don’t need to decide right away, but I probably need to get then done soon.