Monday, February 15, 2016

Started on the Interior

Dateline - 02/13/2016 - I've moved into the interior of the car now.  Lots and lots of stuff to do inside.  My first focus was to get the dimmer switch and wiring on the drivers side buttoned up.  After that I installed the steering column.  Here is a picture of what it looks like.


Steering column from drivers position
Steering column from drivers side door
It is still a bit of a mess, but I got tired of working on my knees on the floor, so I decided to look to putting in some of the interior.

There is definitely an order that the interior needs to go into the car.  Since most of the interior was shot when I got the car, and I pretty much "tore" it out during disassemble, I wasn't sure how to put things back in.  But I think I have it now:

1) Headliner
2) Front and Rear window caps
3) Back Deck
4) Carpets
5) Driver/Passenger outside kick panels
6) B-pillar upholstery
7) Door opening felt caps
8) Driver/Passenger upper door caps
9) Front window side caps

The order is important because some pieces tuck into or under other pieces, so having everything in place in the correct order is pretty important!

So, first I started with the headliner.  These are never easy to install, but after about an hour of pulling and pushing, I got it into place.  Next I put on the window cap pieces. To hold the front one, I needed to install the sun visors, so those are in now too!

Finally, I started on the back deck.  I needed to put some upholstery on on the car body itself, so out came the rubber cement and the vinyl.  I also needed to put the rear window rubber seal in so that I could properly place the pieces with enough room for the window glass.  The rubber is in temporarily.  Unlike the original cars, I plan to use some sealer inside the gasket to keep water from wicking into the body and rusting things like last time.  I didn't have the screws I needed to mount the speakers, so I need to get some more hardware (another run to McClendons Hardware!).

I'm going to install a cyclops brake light in the back window to make the car a bit safer.  The aftermarket item I got is pretty nice, but it does not sit high enough.  So I am going to need to 3D print some extension.  Shouldn't be too hard to create.

Here are pictures of the interior thus far:

Without headliner looking from back passenger door to front of car
Headliner in place
Back window cap
Front window cap with sun visors in place
A slightly blurry view of the back deck