Monday, March 27, 2017

Back Seat Froms Done

Dateline - 03-24-2017 - Worked on the back seat forms this weekend.  More foam, glue and sanding, but I now have a complete set of forms.  See below:

Driver side back seat form

Driver side back seat form


I also spent about three hours making paper patterns for the upholstery using the forms.  I wanted to duplicate the patterns on the front seats, which took a bit of time, but I think its going to look really good.  The good news is that I can use the patterns on both seats by flipping them inside out.

I have also ordered the high density rebond foam that will make up the bolsters and cushions and a Black and Decker 9" electric carving knife to cut the foam.  I also ordered a bunch of upholstery tools.  New sheers, a pair of thread nippers, basting tape, a magnetic sowing guide and a magnetic LED light for my sewing machine.  I figured, if I'm going to do this much sewing, I might as well make life easier, and having the correct tools is the key!

I now need to get some aluminium sheet that I can use to glue the bolsters to.  The plan is to glue the bolsters to the aluminum, then bolt that to the car.  I'll use snaps or industrial Velcro to hold seat bottom and back to the aluminum.  This avoids gluing anything to the car body and allows me to remove the seats if I wish.