Monday, February 12, 2018

Door Panels are a Lot of Work!

Dateline - 02/10/2018 - I think I forgot how much work it was creating door panels!  I'm making progress, but everything is a one-off and just takes a lot of time!

This weekend I joined the two sides of the center console and fiber glassed them together.  I have a bit more sanding to do, but it should be ready for upholstery soon.

I also worked on mounting the passenger side rear door panel.  I had to create the mounting brackets out of mild steel, which required making templates, cutting, bending, weld blind nuts, sandblasting, painting and mounting to the doors.  I got as far as welding the blind nuts. 

The other half of this is the door handle which requires a metal stiffener that is epoxied into the handle.  This stiffener is what the bolts go through to fasten the handle to the door.  It requires a lot of fitting and things have to line up perfect.  So I can't finish those until I get the mounts fastened to the doors.

Once I get the door panels to mount correctly, I have to work on the framework that holds the center carbon fiber piece.  After that, I can do the upholstery work.

There is still more fiberglass work to do with the armrests for the center console and both door panels.  I also have the do the carbon fiber top for the center console. I'm trying to get all of this done so that I can take the car to the paint shop, get the color corrected, then drive the car!  Must keep focused.