Monday, June 20, 2016

New Car and Rewire

Dateline - 06/18-2016 - This weekend saw the XK-8 leave my stable.  I had a lot of fun with that car, but was starting to have more and more problems and I was getting tired of having two project cars.  112K miles was a good haul, but now it's time for someone else to deal with it. 

In it's place is a brand new 2017 Subaru WRX.  Let me tell you, this thing is scary fast and I've been taking it easy to break in the engine!  Wow!  What a different car than the Jag!

Here are some pictures:

2017 Subaru WRX in WR Blue Pearl




As for the XJ-6, I sent a full day Sunday working on a rewire of all the relays.  I first marked each wire and cut then so that I had a matching number on each end.  Then I pulled the two banks 6of relays out and started mounting them under the dash pad.  I have a good area to mount them, so I started with the heater relays, moved to the two wiper relays, then the side-markers, headlights, transmission lockout, rear window defroster and auxiliary.  Two good things came of this rewire.  All but one relay are under the dash pad, and I removed a hole much of splices that could have worked lose and caused a failure.  I even ended up removing a great deal of extra wire because it no longer had to run down to the switches, but just up to a relay.

The last part of the day I spent rewiring the switches into the system.  I didn't finish it yesterday because I was getting tired and my back started to hurt.  So I called it a day with just the fuel select switch to wire and some grounds/hot from ignition to figure out.  After those are done, I need to retest everything, but if it works, then I can button everything back up and call it good.