Monday, June 13, 2016

No Panel Hanging, But Lots Of Troubleshooting



Dateline – 06/11 and 06/12, 2016 – I got all but the fenders back from the paint shop this week and was planning on having a panel hanging party on Saturday, but yours truly forgot to get the stainless steel hardware needed to put everything together.  I went to the local McClendons, but they didn’t have anything with the thread pattern I needed.  They sell the nuts, but not the bolts! I didn’t have enough time to go to Tacoma Screw, which is only open during the week until 5:00pm, so the party has been delayed.

I did get a chance to continue troubleshooting the wiring in the car.  Boy was that a challenge and I ended up cutting almost all the wire wrapping to do it.  Heavy sigh! 
Saturday morning, I started looking at the heater controls which were not working at all.  I figured out that I was not getting power to the #3 fuse and had to trace that back to a bad connection.  Once I get that figured out, both the heater fans and the temperature controls worked like a champ, but that was three hours of work!

Next was the windshield washer.  Guess what.  It worked right out of the box! 
How about the wipers?  Not so lucky.  The low speed and park functions were working fine but the high speed did not work.  There was no reason for it not to since all the wiring looked correct.  So I pulled the wiper motor out, which is a real PITA, then opened the motor to find the high speed brush was stuck.  After a bit of soldering and cleaning it started working fine.

My final item of the day was to get the side markers and headlights working.  Of course, neither worked out the box.  My original goal was to install a daytime running light and auto headlight module.  I thought it would be cool to have something like that.  Well, that was the first thing I took out!  Too much complication.  After rewiring with that out the system, I tried the side makers, which worked fine.  Then the headlights, which did not work!  Troubleshot this for about two hours before I discovered a bad ground on the left headlight!  Of course, I didn’t think of trying it on the right to see if they work!  So, both headlights working, high and low beam.  That was a full Saturday and I was done.

Sunday I decided to attack some of the accessories.  I noticed the interior lights were not coming on, but after trying a different switch, they worked fine.  Next I tried the new switch I installed on the dash to turn on the lights.  Not so good.  Blew a 20 amp fuse.  After looking at how I wired it, I can see why.  Battery direct to ground!  Okay, rewired that one and now the interior lights work.
Next was to try the map lights, which are mounted on the new rear view mirror I purchased.  Worked great!

How about the radio?  It worked too!  

Now I’m feeling pretty cocky!  So, I have a few switches that are blank right now.  The radiator fan unit I bought has a manual override that can be used to turn the fans on when you turn on the A/C or if you just want to have a switch in the car to turn them on.  So, I wired in one of the unused switches to power the fan.  And the fan worked great!

My final thing was to wire in the “starter kill” switch.  After taking out the keyless start system I originally put in, I didn’t have a starter lockout and still wanted one.  I have a space in the center console for the original start switch which was going to be a momentary on type since it was going to be used to turn over the engine.  I bought a new switch that is on/off and wired that in with a relay.  So now, without that button pressed, the starter will not engage.

Now, everything appears to be working except for the center indicator cluster which I need to etch a new circuit board for so it was time to put all the wiring back together.  I spent four hours trying to re-bundle the wires and the more I worked on it, the more I disliked how it was coming together.  I’ve always been worried about the relay position inside the center console.  If any of these relays goes bad, I have to take the entire thing apart to get to them.  Plus, there is a lot of wire going in a very tight space.  I’m just thinking this is going to be a place for failure. 

So I’m going to rewire it again.  I know!  I’ve rewired this three times now.  But I just don’t feel comfortable with it and I don’t want to have a breakdown on the freeway because of my wiring.  I’ve spent too much time working on this car to leave something in which I not at all comfortable.   So, time to get out the wire crimpers and do this again. 

Looking at the complexity I took out of the system over the weekend, I’m really thinking I can make it even simpler by removing a lot of the relays.  I think I’ve been over protective of my switches by using so many relays.  Also, I think I can move the relays up under the dash pad instead of having them inside the center console.  This will make them easier to get to if I need to troubleshot and will remove a great deal of the wiring out of the center console. 

Can I ever leave well enough alone?  Probably not.