Monday, May 2, 2016

Machinical Work

Dateline - 04/30/2016 - I was getting a bit tired of working on the interior so I decided to do some mechanical work this weekend.  My main focus was getting the exhaust manifolds sandblasted, coated and installed.  This took a lot of time because I could only sandblast for about 10 minutes before I ran out of air and needed to stop to let the air compressor build back up.  I don't like to continue sandblasting while the air compressor is running because it takes that much more time to build up pressure and causes the compressor to get really hot.  So, I can do about  4" x 4" section, then stop and do something else on the car.

The something else was to put on new rubber brake lines to the front wheels and hook up the brake lines to the master cylinder.  I had purchased brake lines several years ago and have been putting off putting them on until I got close to done.  This seemed like a good time, so I installed both sides.  I also installed the brake pipes to the master cylinder, which wasn't difficult.

I also took the plugs out of the engine, put some oil into the cylinders and turned the engine by hand to make sure the pistons are free.  Everything turned easily, so that was a good sign. 

So, once I got the exhaust manifolds sandblasted, I treated each one with Calyx manifold coating (http://www.eastwood.com/calyx-manifold-coating.html).  This paste is very easy to put on with a toothbrush and really makes the manifolds look good. 

Once coated, I installed the manifolds on the engine and connected the exhaust collectors.  The passenger side is pretty easy, but the driver side was a real bear because of the steering rack.  Needed to have multiple extensions and universal joints to get the inside bolt tight.  But patience prevailed and I got everything installed.  Here are pictures:

Before and after sandblasting
Exhausts.  Top pre-sandblasting, bottom, sandblasted and treated with Calyx
Passenger side with exhaust and plug wires
Driver side exhaust with plug wires
So, I don't have much left to do in the engine bay at this point.  Need to put in fluids (antifreeze, power steering, brakes and change the engine oil/filter), and connect the fuel line from the gas tanks that I disconnected.