Monday, May 16, 2016

Not a Lot of Progress

Dateline - 05/14/2016.  Didn't make a lot of headway this weekend.  Spent most of the day trying to get the B&M shifter to work correctly.  This required crawling under the car, then getting up and moving the shifter, then crawling under the car again, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat repeat!  Yikes!

For the life of me I could not get the shifter to engage correctly.  The idea is that it needs to engage correctly at the end of the range (e.g. Park and 1st) with no binding on the linkage.  I could not get it to do that.  I could get park to work and 1st would be bound.  Get 1st to work and Park would be bound.  Three hours of under the car, in the cabin, under the car, in the cabin really took a toll.  Finally, I stopped and looked at the installation of the cable on the shifter mechanism.  Low and behold, I installed the cable on the shifter incorrectly! All I can say is, "RTFM Ed!"  After reinstalling the cable correctly, everything worked perfectly!  That was a real waste of four hours and a lot of crawling under the car!

To get a little break, I decided to work on the gas caps.  I partially installed the right hand gas cap base, but didn't have the correct hardware, so it is in there with a couple of screws.  I also bought two complete gas caps from ebay because I needed some parts that had broken on the originals.  Both of these are in pretty rough shape but these things are unobtainium so you have to take what you can get.  I spend about an hour sandblasting the parts, but now need to find some fuel proof rubber material for the gaskets.  Looks like I need to spend some hours on the interwebs!

I do have good news on the rest of the body panels. I called the paint shop and they said they should have the rest of the panels ready to pick up by the end of the week!  I'm getting close to being done with the interior so this will be good timing.  I'll store the parts in the house until I'm ready to hang them, but that shouldn't be to long!