Monday, October 17, 2016

Door Panels and Miscellaneous Fittings

Dateline - 10/16/2016 - It's getting hard to believe, but I'm running out of things to work on!  This week I got a shipment from SNG Barratt that had some items I ordered including the chrome wings that sit next to the trunk lock, the right rear door seal and the plastic fittings that hold a little chrome piece on the back doors.  So I installed all of those this weekend.  Man I'm glad the door seals are done!  They sure are PITA!

With all those miscellaneous things out of the way, I started working on the door panels.  I had finished the right front door panel many years ago, but the left one I had to tear apart because it did not fit with the new dash.  Good thing because after I had put in all the trim, wind-lacing and kick panels, the panel no longer fit in the door opening!  So I went at it with my Dremel tool and saber saw and cut away quite a bit of the door panel to get it to fit.  It took most of the day Saturday to cut, sand, fit and cut again.  But I finally got the panel to fit, including the scrapers.  Now I have to saw a new vinyl cover and glue it all together.

I tackled the right front panel on Sunday.  This one was "finished", but like the left, it no longer fit in the opening either.  However, this one required a lot less modification.  I was able to pull away the vinyl and foam backing without much problem and again with the Dremel and saber saw!  Once I got it to size, I needed to re-fiberglass a portion of it, so I broke out the epoxies and went to town. Because I had not done any epoxy work in over a year, I had to spend some time getting my epoxy pumps tools to work correctly.  That was a messy job!  But I prevailed and finally got the door epoxied.  Now, all I need to do is sand a bit more and glue the vinyl back and that door panel should be ready for installation!

Also, I installed the new rear view mirror.  The old one was attached to the trim piece that span across the front window. It was in pretty bad shape and so I decided to buy a window mounted mirror that had map lights built into it.  I installed it and it works perfect!  Very pleased!

The last thing I did Sunday was work on the fiberglass piece that covers the blinker switch and steering column.  I got it sanded down so that it doesn't interfere with the steering wheel anymore, but now need to figure out how to mount it and saw a new vinyl cover for it.  I think I know how I am going to mount it, but that will have to wait for a couple of weekends because next weekend, I'm going fishing!