Monday, October 10, 2016

Getting Close and Closer

Dateline - 10/08/2016 - This weekend and put the car back on its wheels so that I could work on the passenger side front door.  I had to put the car on its wheels because I needed to push it forward about 18 inches in the garage to clear the center post.  I still need to bleed the brakes and change the tires for new ones.  So it will be back on jack stands soon!

I spent most of the day on Saturday putting the door back together.  After doing three of them already, I had pretty much figured out all the tricks, but it still very fiddly work.  It took about four hours, but I got most of it back together.

I also took care of some side projects.  I needed to paint the inside of the air collector in the front scuttle, so I finished that and installed the grill and front windshield wash nozzles.  I also installed the window wipers too, now that I have a front window!

I also changed the dash somewhat.  I took out the clock in the center of the dash because I realized that, if I use the battery cut off a lot, resetting the clock is going to be a pain.  So instead of the clock, I installed a Jaguar badge that I purchased to go on top of the shift knob but was too big.  It's off a modern jaguar and looks really good in the center of the dash!

I also re-installed trim that I had to take out to put the front window in, as well as installed the window trim that goes around the sides of the front window.  Finally, I installed the dash pad.

The interior is coming along really well.  Next weekend I'm going to work on fitting the door panels.  I know I'm going to need to modify them to fit.  I really guessed wrong on the shape of the door opening once all the trim is in.  Oh well.  Everything is custom, so all it takes is time to fix.