Monday, October 24, 2016

Still Working on Door Panel

Dateline - 10/22/2016 - Well, my fishing trip was a washout.  Drove four hours to find the rivers blown out!  So came home the nest day and worked on the car over the weekend.  This weekend was focused on door panels again.  Last week I did some modifications to the right side front door panel so that it would fit.  This modification required more fiber glassing.  This weekend I cleaned up the work and re-attached to vinyl that I had removed.  Once I got that done, I was able to fit the panel on the door.  It looks really good.

For the driver's side door, I got out the industrial sewing machine and sewed the new vinyl cover.  I spent most of the day Sunday installing the cover on the door panel.  It takes a lot time because I have to adhere some places with rubber cement and let it dry, then glue other parts with 3M 77 adhesive.  Overall it took a good four hours to do.  Now both door panels are done!

Since I had the sewing machine out, I also did some sewing of the passenger side arm rest.  I had the frame done for a long time, but did not get around the sewing the cover.  That's done.

I also sewed the cover to the steering wheel cover and glued it to the frame.  Now I just need to finish figuring out how I'm going to mount it.

Finally, I have to work on the power window switches.  I bought aftermarket switches that are back lit and should  be pretty cool.  The front passenger and two back door switches are single switches that are easy to deal with.  The driver side though is ganged together via a back-plane circuit board with all four switches side-by-side.  I need to etch a back plane that allows me to put the switches the way I want them (two rows, front windows forward, back windows behind) then solder all he connections.  Should be fun.